Notes: Mohr opts to go to Triple-A

Notes: Mohr opts to go to Triple-A

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Dustan Mohr arrived at camp full of hope, thanks to his status as the front-runner to be the right-handed hitting outfielder off the bench for the Red Sox. He leaves with some disappointment, knowing that his status changed in the blink of one trade that brought Wily Mo Pena to Boston.

Mohr had an "out" in his contract that allowed him to become a free agent by Thursday, if he so chose.

After some careful thought, Mohr decided not to exercise that right, and instead, he'll start his season at Triple-A Pawtucket.

"I want to be a Red Sox. I intend to be a Red Sox," said Mohr. "I don't expect to be in Pawtucket all year or for a lengthy amount of time. But that's what I'm going to do right now. I'm just going to play and see how things shake out. But I expect to be back here pretty soon."

Mohr has had a terrific spring, hitting .351 with three homers and seven RBIs and has also played solid defense in the outfield. He didn't play like a Triple-A player, and the Red Sox know he isn't one, despite where he'll start the season.

"He's a Major League player," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "He got caught where a trade happened. It happens to a lot of people. It happens to somebody every year. I tried to get him to understand ... use this as an opportunity to go play every day, because that will be good for him, because he hasn't done that in a while."

As a part-time player last year in Colorado, Mohr belted 17 homers in 266 at-bats.

At 29, he's been around the game long enough to know there could be an opportunity to get back to Boston in a reasonable amount of time.

"I know I'm a Major League player, and I know what I can bring to the table, and I know I can help the team win," said Mohr. "If it's not here, I know it can be somewhere else. But this is where I want to be. I'll just kind of wait and see what happens."

Arroyo's return: Just 10 days after being traded from the Red Sox, Bronson Arroyo came back to City of Palms Park -- wearing a Reds uniform -- and pitched against his former team. He dazzled, firing seven shutout innings and striking out nine.

Arroyo was the winning pitcher as the Reds downed the Sox, 4-0. When Arroyo took the mound in the bottom of the first, he got a loud and lengthy ovation.

"Playing in this park, man, is unbelievable," Arroyo said. "That's why I enjoyed being in that [Red Sox] uniform. The crowd, man, if it wasn't for them, it'd be boring. So it was great to just be back here and pitch."

Foulke scratched: Red Sox closer Keith Foulke was scheduled to pitch on Thursday, but was scratched. The reason?

"Foulke had an intestinal problem, he didn't feel good," said Foulke. "He'll pitch Saturday."

Friday's plan: The Red Sox will have a short workout late Friday morning, then board a plane to Philadelphia for exhibition games this weekend on Saturday and Sunday. Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield and David Wells will stay back and work out in Fort Myers, before rejoining the team for Opening Day.

Beckett will pitch in a Minor League game on Friday as his final tuneup before pitching the third game of the season next Wednesday.

Pedroia's progress: Highly-touted prospect Dustin Pedroia will stay in extended Spring Training as he continues to recover from a strained left shoulder.

"I'm going to stay down here and get 25, 30 at-bats," said Pedroia. "I think I'm going to miss 12 games, 10 games, something like that, then I'll catch up with Pawtucket in Durham. It will be good. I haven't had any at-bats since my first swing [of Spring Training]."

Coming up: After Friday's travel day, the Red Sox send Minor League right-hander David Pauley to the mound for Saturday's 1:05 p.m. ET contest in Philadelphia. Matt Clement takes the ball on Sunday at 12:35 p.m., the final exhibition game of the spring for Boston.

Ian Browne is a reporter for This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.