Johnson was hit in the head by a line drive in his first start of the season for Pawtucket but bounced back with a strong performance just five days later, allowing one hit over six innings.
"His strike-throwing has been good," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "Percentage of strikes has been much improved. Sharpness to the secondary stuff is there. The velocity is probably not to where it was two spring's ago, but improved over a year. He's been through quite a bit. Looking forward to the opportunity for him [Tuesday]."
This will be the second start in the Majors for Johnson. He made his debut at Houston on July 21, 2015, giving up three hits and four runs over 4 1/3 innings.
Johnson has faced adversity since then, going through elbow woes and anxiety that led to a medical leave.
Farrell has been impressed the way the 26-year-old has bounced back.
"I think it says a lot about the resiliency and the competitiveness that is there right now," Farrell said.
The 24-year-old Taylor made his first career Opening Day roster this season, despite having never pitched above the Double-A level prior to the season.
He allowed only one run in 5 1/3 innings (1.69 ERA) over three relief appearances with Boston, striking out seven batters and allowing only three hits. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Taylor is the only Red Sox pitcher in the expansion era to strike out each of his first three batters faced in the Major Leagues.
In two starts this season, Rodriguez is 0-2 with a 5.23 ERA. Farrell hasn't yet announced when he will be slotted back into the rotation.
Ian Browne has covered the Red Sox for MLB.com since 2002. Follow him on Twitter @IanMBrowne and Facebook. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.