CLOSE

Now Commenting On:

Ross, Sweeney placed on disabled list

Ross, Sweeney placed on disabled list

Ross, Sweeney placed on disabled list
BALTIMORE -- Although Cody Ross was feeling a lot better on Tuesday, the Red Sox still were left with no choice but to place him on the 15-day disabled list.

There was some hope earlier in the day that the crack that was found on his initial MRI was an existing injury instead of a new fracture.

But after further review, it was revealed that Ross does in fact have a fracture in the navicular bone in his left foot, which was the diagnosis the Red Sox revealed on Monday.

"I was just starting to feel good for the first time all year," said Ross. "The team is rolling, we were playing well. It's just obviously a letdown, but they'll hold it down while I'm gone, pick up the slack and we'll be all right."

It has been surreal to see so many Boston outfielders hurt at once. The team's top four outfielders -- Jacoby Ellsbury, Carl Crawford, Ross and Ryan Sweeney -- are all on the disabled list. So, too, are Darnell McDonald, Ryan Kalish and Jason Repko.

"That's amazing," said Ross. "That's probably some sort of record I would assume."

The Red Sox will try and hang in there while Ross heals.

"He feels better, and we got some more information today," said general manager Ben Cherington. "I think more confirmation that this is something he'll recover from with conservative treatment, hopefully sooner rather than later, but a DL is still necessary. We've got to let that thing heal for a while. It's frustrating -- a tough break for him, but we'll get him back as soon as we can."

The general range for that injury is six to eight weeks.

"I'm definitely not going to put a date on it," said Ross. "You guys can ask me all you want. Is it going to be six to eight weeks? Is it going to be two to four weeks? Who knows? It's going to totally depend on how it heals. I feel good. Today I'm walking around normal. It doesn't hurt. That's optimistic. Those are good signs that it can be a quick recovery."

"We've got to get him out of the boot first, then figure out where he is," Cherington said. "We're optimistic that he's feeling better every day. Hopefully it's towards the earlier part of that range, but we'll see.'

Ross wasn't the only outfielder the Red Sox had to shut down on Tuesday. Sweeney, who suffered a concussion from a collision on Saturday, went to the seven-day disabled list, which is in place specifically for players recovering from head injuries.

"In order to be cleared to play, he'll still have to pass that [concussion] test," Cherington said. "We'll just give him some time to feel better. He feels a little better today. Hopefully he feels a little better tomorrow. We'll see where it goes."

{}
{}