Red Sox stand pat as rosters expand

Red Sox stand pat as rosters expand

BOSTON -- The Red Sox's clubhouse sometimes seems like a revolving door to its Minor League affiliates, seeing as how many members of the 2008 ballclub have hit the disabled list over the past five months and made room for prospects to make their way to the big leagues.

So on Monday, when Major League teams are allowed to expand to the 40-man roster, it seems a little odd that Boston made no roster moves whatsoever. The Sox, for the time being, are content with exactly how their roster is shaped up.

Part of that is due to current injuries. With Mike Lowell, J.D. Drew and Sean Casey -- among others -- currently on the DL and Josh Beckett slated to come off it on Wednesday, the Sox have made several callups in the past several days.

One of the more necessary additions for a late-season run that manager Terry Francona addressed earlier in the week was the addition of a third catcher, Triple-A Pawtucket's David Ross. The Sox made took care of that move on Friday.

Outfielder Jonathan Van Every, Jeff Bailey and Michael Bowden -- who was sent down to Pawtucket on Sunday -- were recent moves to fill injury voids. Further callups are possible throughout the month of September.

"I don't know if we are announcing any potential callups, because we just don't do that," Francona said. "So that's kind of where we're at there."

Part of who and when callups happen will likely depend on how the PawSox and Double-A Portland do in their respective postseasons, as both made the playoffs in their respective leagues.

Francona mentioned over the weekend the team is keeping all their options open, but they'll likely be conscious of any moves based on how their affiliates do in their own postseason ventures.

Bowden could make a return, as could Clay Buchholz, who is currently in Double-A with the Sea Dogs.

Bartolo Colon, who pitched six innings Monday against Lehigh Valley and allowed one run on four hits to collect the win, is another option. While Francona said they'd likely want him to make another start at Triple-A, he also alluded over the weekend to possibly bringing Colon to pitch one game of the doubleheader on Sept. 13 against Toronto.

"We'd like him to pitch one more time," Francona said of Colon. "But there are some things that can get in the way of that."

Mark Remme is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.