The New York Daily News reported in Sunday's edition that a text message from Adrian Gonzalez's phone last month to team ownership was actually composed by backup catcher Kelly Shoppach, who was traded to the Mets last week.
However, following the Mets-Nationals game on Sunday, Shoppach said he had nothing to do with any text message.
"I wasn't behind any texts; I actually didn't even attend the meeting," Shoppach told several media outlets, including MLB.com. "It was on an off-day in New York, and I stayed back in Texas with my family. I've already gotten a few text messages from some of my former teammates, apologizing that my name was even brought up in it.
"Everybody that's involved with that whole situation knows that I had nothing to do with it. So, like I said, I'm a Met now and I'm really excited to be here. We're on a fun group of guys, and I wish the Red Sox nothing but well. I had a great time while I was there, but I'm a Met now and I'm excited about the opportunity here."
The meeting that Red Sox players had with ownership on July 26 had been kept under wraps until a report was written by Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. Among Passan's claims was that Gonzalez texted upper management, complaining that manager Bobby Valentine had left Jon Lester in too long on July 22, when the left-hander gave up 11 runs against the Blue Jays. Passan suggested that part of the origin of the team meeting was that text message from Gonzalez's phone.
"I saw [the report] today," said Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington. "I can't add anything more to that whole story. The meeting happened over three weeks ago now. Time has passed. We're trying to move on and focus on what's going on up here. There's nothing more I can add to it."