CLOSE

Now Commenting On:

Butler, Wilson among additional cuts

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. -- The Red Sox made two more cuts on Friday, bringing the day's total to five.

Catcher Daniel Butler and right-hander Alex Wilson were both optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket on Friday night, the Sox announced on Saturday. Right-handers Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster and catcher Christian Vazquez were previously known to have been sent down.

More

Wilson, 26, made six Grapefruit League appearances and let up one run in 7 2/3 innings, with nine strikeouts and two walks. Red Sox manager John Farrell said he hopes Wilson will get save opportunities in the Minors.

"He had a very strong spring," Farrell said. "Compared to a year ago from talking to others that saw him last year, [he had] much better mound presence, [was] more comfortable in the environment, threw a lot of strikes, didn't fear contact. And that was with each outing that he went out to the mound, and it wasn't one that stood out over the other. [He] had a good camp.

"I'm sure he'll get closing opportunities there. Because it's the highest-leverage spot in the Minor Leagues, you can create. So how he responds to that -- I'm sure he'll get some exposure late in the ninth inning."

Butler, also 26, went 3-for-10 in eight games.

The Red Sox have 46 players in Major League Spring Training, including Ryan Kalish, who's on the 60-day disabled list.

Evan Drellich is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @EvanDrellich. Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com and writes a blog, B3. Follow Less