BOSTON -- Shane Victorino was again unavailable to play for the Red Sox on Thursday, and the team is no closer to deciding whether to place the outfielder on the disabled list.
"He continues to improve with each day," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "He's going to go out and do some light running and then we'll ramp up the physical work or the physical activity. The information we get back after how he responds to that certainly is helpful as far as our decision making going forward."
Victorino left Tuesday's game against the White Sox with tightness in his left hamstring. The 32-year-old outfielder missed time in April when he experienced tightness in his lower back and again last week when the injury reoccurred.
With Victorino again out of the mix, Mike Carp started in left field and Daniel Nava moved to right and occupied Victorino's No. 2 spot in the batting order.
For now, Farrell isn't going to speculate on when Victorino will return.
"He's still day to day, unavailable tonight," Farrell said. "We're no closer to making a roster move."
Michael Periatt is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Brownie Points, and follow him on Twitter @IanMBrowne. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.Less