CLOSE

Now Commenting On:

{"content":["injury" ] }

Neck strain lands Buchholz on 15-day disabled list

Neck strain lands Buchholz on 15-day disabled list

Neck strain lands Buchholz on 15-day disabled list

BOSTON -- Red Sox ace Clay Buchholz, who is unbeaten in 12 starts, was placed on the disabled list Tuesday night because of a neck strain.

The move, retroactive to June 9, means the right-hander won't start Saturday against the Tigers as the club previously hoped. However, Buchholz is eligible to pitch again as soon as June 25, when the Red Sox open a homestand against the Rockies.

"We needed the starter on Saturday," manager John Farrell said. "[We] didn't feel like we had enough time to get him the proper amount of work to prepare for that start. Didn't want to take any chances."

Catcher Ryan Lavarnway was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to fill Buchholz's roster spot.

Before the Red Sox's doubleheader against the Rays Tuesday, Farrell said how Buchholz felt after a bullpen session would determine if the team made a roster move. Buchholz threw the session in between games and it was announced shortly after that the team was making a move.

Allen Webster will most likely start in his place.

The injury stems from Buchholz's last start on June 8, when he made an awkward throw to first base. The injury may be related to irritation in his AC joint, located beneath the collarbone, that caused him to miss a start in late May.

Buchholz is 9-0 on the year with a 1.73 ERA.

Michael Periatt is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @Michael Periatt. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

{"content":["injury" ] }
{"content":["injury" ] }