Manager John Farrell noted that the Red Sox plan to appeal the decision, which resulted in an error charged to Twins first baseman Joe Mauer, rather than an infield hit for Ortiz.
Ortiz responded by looking up to the press box and giving official scorer Bob Ellis a thumbs-down sign, and after the game he said that "the scorekeepers [at Fenway Park] are always horrible."
"Any time that there's a discrepancy, a dispute or a differing of opinion, there's a process that the play can be forwarded for further review, and that's what we'll do with David's ball that glanced off Mauer's glove the other day," said Farrell.
"We've already had a chance to talk after that took place. I think it was a time when some frustration emerged. The review process will have a chance to take a look at it."
Earlier on Friday, Torre -- MLB's executive vice president for baseball operations -- released a statement on Ortiz's behavior.
"Official scorers have a job to do, and by their very nature, their decisions don't make everyone happy," said Torre. "But everyone in our game deserves respect. I hope that David will meet that standard going forward, because I don't share the same views that he expressed.
"Official scorers should never give any benefit of the doubt to the home team. We want their best judgment, based on the rules. We have a process to review the decisions that our scorers make. Even when there are inevitable disagreements, we expect everybody to act professionally and respect the game and the integrity of our scorers."
Farrell is not concerned about the incident having any lingering effects on Ortiz's performance.
"While there might be some frustration in the moment, I think he has shown that that is just in that point in time," Farrell said. "He comes back and hits a game-tying home run his next at-bat."
Ortiz was in the Red Sox's lineup Friday following a routine day off Thursday.
Aaron Leibowitz is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.