BOSTON, MA - The Boston Red Sox will introduce the recipients of the Red Sox Service Scholarships from Vermont and Connecticut during ceremonies taking place at Fenway Park this Saturday and Sunday, respectively.
The Red Sox Service Scholarship program awards students from 10 public high schools in each New England state with $1,000 scholarships towards their college education.
The program was launched in New Hampshire in 2010, followed by Rhode Island in 2012. This is the first year the program has been offered in Vermont and Connecticut. Students are chosen based on academic performance, financial aid eligibility, and most importantly, demonstrated community service.
"Each year, we recognize and reward students dedicated to making a difference in their communities," said Red Sox Foundation Board Member Linda Pizzuti Henry. "As we honor students from Vermont and Connecticut for the first time, we hope their commitment to service inspires others to be active participants in their own communities."
On the field to honor the Vermont students on Saturday, August 16, will be Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin, Red Sox Senior Vice President of Corporate Partnerships Troup Parkinson, and Red Sox Foundation Executive Director Gena Borson.
Vermont Red Sox Scholarship Award recipients include:
- Maria Armstrong, Mount Anthony Union High School
- Marla Davidson, Harwood Union High School
- Joseph Dempsey, Otter Valley Union High School
- Ruby Dombek, Vergennes Union High School
- Jeremy Ducharme, Hazen Union High School
- Jenne Hull, Missisquoi Valley Union High School
- Elizabeth Kamb, Woodstock Union High School
- Makayla Limlaw, North Country Union High School
- Madelyn McCrae, South Burlington High School
- Samuel Reed, Stowe High School
On the field to honor the Connecticut students on Sunday, August 17, will be Red Sox Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer Sam Kennedy, and Red Sox Foundation Executive Director Gena Borson.
Connecticut Red Sox Scholarship Award recipients include:
- Raymond Abini-Agbonson, Danbury High School
- Shea Connors, Wilbur Cross High School
- Amber Dupont, Windham High School
- Jennifer Heppner, New Britain High School
- Everton James, Bulkeley High School
- Brendan Kennedy, Rockville High School
- Paulina Koloda, Torrington High School
- Thomas Mason, Fitch Senior High School
- Zoila Rodriguez, Central High School
- Jeffery Woodcock, Middletown High School
In addition to celebrating the accomplishments of the scholarship recipients, the Red Sox will also celebrate the Green Mountain and Constitution States during Saturday and Sunday's games, which have been designated Vermont Day, presented by Bond Auto, and Connecticut Day at Fenway Park.